Friday 29 March 2019

Reflecting and making changes to my practice

Through my discussions with Jannie, I shared my frustration of rushing through groups because I wanted to see more than one group per day. As a result, the reading discussions would be rushed and I often felt the group discussions lacked depth and meaning due to time constraints. Jannie suggested seeing one group per day and two other groups can start the session by sharing their text with the other. 

I have three reading groups. In a lesson I would work with one group deep diving into reading material while the other two groups would start the first rotation in a student lead discussion about group reading materials. 

I have been observing the confidence of my students growing through these student lead discussions. There are obvious leaders who are starting to take over the discussions and encouraging others to share. I am now reflecting on how to give leadership to other students other than the leaders.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Analysis of my teaching as inquiry this year

  How do mathematical practices in DMIC support learner identities in Maths? The shift in student independence in solving mathematical prob...