Thursday 28 March 2019

Reflecting on my observations during our group lessons

Working together is the key. My students and I have been focussing a lot on the quality of our discussions about reading texts. We have had some 'wow moments'. We have identified when we share our ideas without listening to the input of ours its almost like entering a dead end street. There is no progression in the discussions. 

The tragic event in Christchurch has been an area of constant discussion and reading for our class. We have read a lot of current events in the past two weeks about Christchurch and reflected on the effects the actions of one person on the victims and also New Zealand. 

I have also identified I need to structure SSR to enable the students to use this time for good quality self directed reading. For most of the class, SSR is a time when enjoy reading their chosen books from the school library or the class library. The newest edition of Toitoi is becoming very popular too. However, there is a small group of students who have challenges in managing themselves during SSR. I have started calling some of my reluctant learners to read one to one with me during SSR. They choose their own text and we read this together and then discuss. I am not sure if this will have an effect on the students' enjoyment of reading at this stage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Analysis of my teaching as inquiry this year

  How do mathematical practices in DMIC support learner identities in Maths? The shift in student independence in solving mathematical prob...