Friday 11 August 2023

TAI focus for this year

 How do mathematical practices in DMIC support learner identities in Maths? 

I have decided to focus my teaching as inquiry into the learner identities of my students in mathematics. This decision was made based on my reflections, observations and data from gathering student voice. 

My hunch is that students who have low self confidence in mathematics, do not identify themselves as mathematicians and therefore, are reluctant to participate in maths lessons or engage in maths learning. 

Mathematical learner identity is not fixed and therefore, teachers can do something about it. Mathematical learner identity is concerning the mathematics learning the learner has been exposed to, rather than the learner themselves (Education Hub). Often as a teacher I have questioned if the students who are reluctant to participate in maths lessons are doing so deliberately or because they are not able to understand what the lesson is about and disengagement is their refuge. Through this inquiry, I will be exploring in depth my own assumptions and actions as a teacher and how I can change my mindset and practice to cater for my target learners. 

Our school have been implementing the DMIC programme since 2019. We have had many professional development experiences where we have discussed the importance of giving students the autonomy to learn and share their leanring without teacher input. The DMIC programme puts student voice and participation at its heart. There are a variety of mathematical practices which I will be focussing on for this inquiry and analysing how effective they are in supporting students in growing their learner identities in maths. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Analysis of my teaching as inquiry this year

  How do mathematical practices in DMIC support learner identities in Maths? The shift in student independence in solving mathematical prob...