Tuesday 1 August 2023

Making changes and encouraging mathematics in my classroom and whanau community

Many of my students feel mathematics is too hard for them especially when it comes to Decimals and Fractions. I am sure many teachers can agree with this. I have noticed throughout my teaching that many students have huge learnings gaps in decimals, fractions and also percentages. 

At the moment, our focus through our DMIC programme is on decimals, fractions and percentages. I have noticed that I am teaching mathematics with a lot more passion than I ever have. 

Reflective question: Have I been so focussed on my literacy pedagogy that I have neglected Maths? 
 
I am encouraging my students to learn their times tables from 2 - 12 as this will help them with their basic facts knowledge and also with their multiplicative strategies. It is part of an on going home learning focus we have and majority of the class 80% are learning their times tables at home. I also received some feedback from parents during our Three Way Conferences that they were happy to see their children learning their times tables. Some parents also expressed they are quite the experts at recalling their times tables. 

Reflective question: How else can I harness whanau support in my Teaching as Inquiry in Maths?

Our school distributes our school newsletter every month. In our class page I often used to put maths questions which we were solving in class for whanau to solve. Not one whanau responded. 

Reflective question: What do other schools do to encourage whanau participation in student learning?

As I have been on leave for Term 2, I am now having to decide what my focus will be for this teaching as inquiry. I have identified my curriculum area of focus and now reflecting, analysing and reflecting on the changes I will make to my practice to accelerate student learning. The other outcome I hope for my teaching as inquiry is to change the mentality of my target group from 'I am not good at maths' to 'I enjoy learning in maths and I can do this'. Where in literacy we aim to encourage life long readers, I am aiming to encourage life long mathematicians. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Analysis of my teaching as inquiry this year

  How do mathematical practices in DMIC support learner identities in Maths? The shift in student independence in solving mathematical prob...