Thursday 3 August 2023

Gathering literature on maths teaching and learning in New Zealand

The Education Hub is a resource I often refer to when searching for articles or materials for my teaching practice. Through my search for articles on mathematics, I came across this research article written by two lecturers at the University of Auckland, Dr Lisa Darragh and Fiona Ell. 

The article is called Five research-derived themes to consider when teaching maths. The article begins with this statement, 'The task of teachers of primary mathematics is to bring important mathematics concepts and skills together with students’ attitudes, beliefs, prior knowledge and thinking – and to do so in dynamic learning spaces'. I have highlighted the words - attitudes, beliefs, prior knowledge and thinking because as I keep observing, planning, teaching and reflecting on what is happening with my students in maths, I keep coming to the hunch that it might be my students' attitudes, beliefs, prior knowledge and thinking that is hindering their progress in maths. 

The articles by Dr Darragh and Fiona Ell talks about five key themes that teachers need to consider when planning and teaching maths. 

  1. Talk 
  2. Tasks
  3. Tools
  4. Thoughts
  5. Together 
As I was reading through the five themes, I came across ideas and understandings which I am familiar with and have been implementing in my teaching already. For example, the theme of TALK talks about using mathematical language, encouraging talk, ensuring all students have a chance to talk, changing the balance of teacher/student talk. 

I have gradually been making changes in my maths teaching through the problem solving programme our school started and also now with following the DMIC programme. One strategy I use in my class is ensuring the students are in a group of three to work out problems and the groups are always random. The students do not know who they are working with each time so they are open to working with any other student in their group. 

Another is, unpacking the problem and identifying words we do not understand in the problem. I always emphasise to my students that problems to be solved is a story, not just a mathematical problem. This changes the mindset of the students from quickly jumping into the mathematical work to trying to discuss and unpack the problem to be solved. 

As I was analysing PAT results for my class, I noticed some of my confident students in maths got some problems wrong probably because they did not understand what the question was asking them to do. Therefore, it is valuable for students to unpack the problem and analyse, interpret, decide what the problem is and what the mathematical problem to be solved is. 

We also do not use the hands up technique during our lessons. I have a saying which is 'When you raise your hand, you are stopping someone else from thinking'. I feel that students who are trying to think of a response will be put off their thinking or give up when they see another student with a raised hand as they will think that student has solved the problem or have the answer to the question. This also promotes learning conversations between the students and the teacher. 

Another theme which I reflected upon was the Thoughts theme. Theme number 4. 

'This theme has two components: the teacher’s thoughts and the students’ thoughts[vii]. What teachers think about mathematics, and what they think about their students, are key determiners of the progress that students will make. Seeing them as capable, taking an asset-based approach, and regarding mathematics as valuable and fun will set teachers up to design learning opportunities that will help all students progress'. 

What are my thoughts about maths and how do I promote 'maths is fun' to my students?

Another question which struck me from the article was this question: What messages do I give my students about my view of them as capable mathematics learners? I teach Year 7/8 and my students can easily infer meaning from my actions and what I say. This question highlighted to me that in gathering student voice, I need to put a question similar to the question the students answer for Asttle Writing - My teacher thinks I am good at writing but in my context, maths. 

All given themes have golden nuggets which I believe are valuable for teachers to consider in teaching maths but the theme which really relates to my hunch is theme five. TOGETHER. 

The theme Together is about the idea that maths is for everyone and not just for the elite or the SMART students in the class. The idea that smart students can do maths and the dumb students can't do maths. I know some of my students think they are the dumb students who can't do maths. These students can also point out the smart students who they believe are good at maths. This also emphasises why I always pick the small groups of three for group work, so the students are not pick and choosing who they want to work with. I am a firm believer in being inclusive and supporting each other so absolutely no pick and choosing who one wants to work with in my class. 

'When teachers design opportunities to learn, it is important to think about how to include everyone and make the ideas as accessible as possible'. My class are grouped in mixed ability groups. Making learning as accessible as possible is ensuring my task design and how I teach the lessons cater for all students in the groups. 

Students' self efficacy plays a huge role in how a student learns and interacts with others not only in a school setting but outside of school. That is why I am going with my hunch that, when students are not confident in maths, that is a barrier to how they learn and progress in maths. 

So, after reading this article, back I go to the drawing board to frame my inquiry question for my teaching as inquiry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Analysis of my teaching as inquiry this year

  How do mathematical practices in DMIC support learner identities in Maths? The shift in student independence in solving mathematical prob...