Wednesday 2 August 2023

Profiling my class in maths

'Promoting a positive mathematic learner identity for all students and communicating the belief that mathematics is for everyone are important components of effective teaching and learning in maths', (Education Hub). 

I have been observing my class with their learning in maths. I have also been making notes on their behaviour during our maths lessons and reflecting on my conversations with students about maths as well as the students' conversations with each other. Other conversations I have been drawing from, happened during our recent Three Way Conferences. 

Assessment data provides information about the level of achievement the students are at but, I also believe that gathering background information about the students and their attitudes towards maths is as important as assessment data. When I was in discussions with my students and their parents, many of my students shared that they find maths challenging because the learning is new or hard for them to understand. 

My reflections on what I have observed about my students' learning in maths? (These reflections are of my whole class. There will be another post profiling my target group in detail).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Analysis of my teaching as inquiry this year

  How do mathematical practices in DMIC support learner identities in Maths? The shift in student independence in solving mathematical prob...