Sunday 12 September 2021

Supporting my colleagues with their Teaching as Inquiry

In my role as a CoL Across School teacher, I have been working with my colleagues on supporting them with their practice in the classroom using digital tools and also their Teaching as Inquiry. 

In the professional discussions I have been having with my colleagues, I have realised that teachers are at different levels of understanding when it comes to Teaching as Inquiry. We have the experienced teachers who have been inquiring into their practice for some years and have received a lot of professional development in how to carry out a Teaching as Inquiry into their practice, then we have our PRT teachers who are starting with their Teaching as Inquiry. 

I believe as teachers, we are always inquiring into our practice because of the nature of our work. We plan, teach, reflect, change, implement and the cycles goes on. However, there are more practices we can implement into our practice when we are conducting a Teaching as Inquiry. 

Teaching as Inquiry is a journey that we as teachers travel to learn and reflect on how we can utilise our role as teachers to accelerate the learning of our tamariki. If we know something works, do we still need to inquire into this? Or are we taking a safe route in our practice by repeating something we are doing in our teaching practice which we know works for learning? 

My advise is do not be afraid to go into the unknown. Identify the challenge you want to address in the learning of your tamariki and inquire into how you can improve and change this challenge. 

I created this slide presentation to help my colleagues with planning and actioning their Teaching as Inquiry. I am adding more details as I work through this year with hope, come end of this year, this slide presentation will be ready to be utilised by my colleagues from Term 1, 2022 when I am on maternity leave. (Yes, I am going on maternity leave beginning of Term 1, 2022).

If you have time to go through the slides, I welcome your feedback in improving the slide presentation. 

4 comments:

  1. Tēnā koe Amy,
    I have enjoyed reading your post, because you have and continue to help me through my teaching journey. This resource of TAI Process is a document that is understandable and easy to use.
    I thank you for always taking the time in making sure I have an understanding and a sense of knowing where to next.
    I always look forward to our sessions. He mihi nūnui kia koe e hoa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Whaea Sangita, thank you for your comment. I do value our professional discussions and look forward to watching you grow in your practice. Kia kaha.

      Delete
  2. You Rock Amy, I am loving your blog. Yes, checking in with you or any teacher is scary for I don't want you or others to know my faults or any judgements good or bad. I do enjoy the TAI process and even the Spiral Inquiry process. It is important for one to reflect on their teaching practice and how what teaching approach/method with support our learning to make improvements to their achievements. Keep up the amazing work you do for your class and our staff and across our school. Meitaki ma'ata. Anne Forsyth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Anne, thank you for your comment. Sometimes we hold ourselves back but its the feedback we receive which can open another insight into our reflections and practice. Keep up the good work.. Nga mihi - Amy

      Delete

Analysis of my teaching as inquiry this year

  How do mathematical practices in DMIC support learner identities in Maths? The shift in student independence in solving mathematical prob...