Friday 3 September 2021

Diary of a teacher on lockdown

Through all the lockdown teaching I have been doing, I have been learning to adjust to what is the norm when teaching from home and students are learning from home. 

I have come to realise that, it is harder to engage the students when they are not sitting right in front of you. At the beginning of our meets, I have always had to remind students to have their cameras on because personally, I prefer talking to my students when they are visible on my screen. When their cameras are off, I do not know if they are still lying in bed and I feel it is part of respecting themselves, others and their learning when they are on the meet ready to learn. 


How did I attack this challenge of the cameras being on during the meet? 
I assigned one of the students, one who is always the first to join the meets to be the monitor for the cameras. When this student was assigned, he gladly took the role and would remind people to have their cameras on. Quite funny though, because the monitor is one who I also had to remind a few times to have his camera on. It is quite pleasing to see the respect that the students have for each other. When ever my monitor would ask his peers to have their cameras on, they would comply. I have to admit the meets are much better with everyone's cameras on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Analysis of my teaching as inquiry this year

  How do mathematical practices in DMIC support learner identities in Maths? The shift in student independence in solving mathematical prob...