Tuesday 28 September 2021

Diary of a teacher on lockdown

The challenge for today in our Fun Week Challenges was our cooking challenge. Our class had a meet at 9.30 am in the morning to discuss what we were going to do and also the recording/videoing aspects of our challenge. After the 9.30 am meet, all students and teachers then set off to do their cooking or baking. 

I had a staff meeting right after the meet so I did not make a start on my baking until after the meeting. It was definitely a challenge to bake pineapple pies before our 1.30 online shared lunch meet but I was able to finish with 15 minutes to spare for lunch and to catch my breath. 

While baking, I also knew that my class were cooking or baking and probably rushing around the kitchen like I was. I had a little help from my son and after hearing the students share, I also realised they too had help from whanau at home. Collaboration in the home at its best. 

My entry for today's challenge were Pineapple Pies. I have had the recipe for more than 10 years. It was passed on to me from some sister missionaries and I have made so many modifications to the recipe to suit my liking. I am very fussy with my pastry. I like the pastry very flaky and bakes until very golden brown. The filling is custard which has to be Edmonds custard with crushed pineapples and pineapple chunks also because I like eating pineapples. That is why I use the pineapple chunks as well. The end product were delicious, flaky and light pineapple pies. Probably the best I have made so far even though I was in a rush when I was making them.

Our online shared lunch meet was fun. The students shared their cooking and baking.  Other food entires were: frooze balls, hash browns, cookies, chicken curry, donuts, burgers, Maori bread, chocolate cake, mini curry pies. 

It was a great way to end the day sharing our cooking and baking. I am so proud of the effort my students are putting into these challenges and also grateful to their parents for their support in their children's activities. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Analysis of my teaching as inquiry this year

  How do mathematical practices in DMIC support learner identities in Maths? The shift in student independence in solving mathematical prob...