Wednesday 3 March 2021

Engaging my learners and whanau from home

What would lockdown teaching look like without digital technology? 


Tonnes of worksheets sent home
A book sent home for students to read
Phone calls to student homes to check if students are doing their work
Can't give feedback to student work because I can't see their work
Limited interactions with my students





NO THANKS!






What lockdown teaching and learning looks like for my class

We are on hangouts using Google Meet everyday. I am still doing group teaching with my students through our meets. My students enjoy working in their learning groups. I have observed they like the smaller group discussions and the time I spend with them in discussing learning. I have seen some students really engaged through our meets and learning online. 

Engaging whanau my students' learning 

While my students are learning from home, I thought this is great opportunity to have their whanau participate in their learning activities. Therefore, I launched our Whanau Challenge for this week while we are on lockdown. Also sourced a very kind sponsor Mr Tofa to sponsor the prizes for the Whanau Challenge. Am blessed with a very supportive husband who supports you in your effort to engage your learners in their learning. 

The Whanau Challenge is a hit with my students. A lot of them are participating and getting their families involved. This highlights the value of whanau involvement and support as well as being resilient regardless of the situations we are in. Auckland is in its forth lockdown and it is very important for me to keep my students' learning engaging and meaningful. 

Some challenges by my students 


 


I am really excited everyday to continue working with my students. I know it is the same for them too. How do I know? Attendance 21/24 attending the Google Meets. The amount of work I have emailed to me. The communication from my students asking for feedback on their tasks before they blog. The amount of blog posts coming through. All these would not be possible without digital technology and also the kaupapa of Manaiakalani underpinning our digital learning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Analysis of my teaching as inquiry this year

  How do mathematical practices in DMIC support learner identities in Maths? The shift in student independence in solving mathematical prob...