Monday 29 June 2020

Inquiry in action

Earlier in the term, I made the change to have three literacy groups in my class. Prior the students were in different reading and writing groups. Now in literacy groups, they are in the same group for reading and writing.

It has been an effective change. There in coherence in our discussions from writing to reading and the students are working very well together in their groups. I also find the flow of the lessons and rotations between groups are really effective.

With learning materials, I have a main text, then supplementary texts to support the main text. There is a lot of exposure to different texts at different levels. The students who struggle to understand some texts are finding support from their peers and also from listening and asking questions in our discussions.

With rotations, I have one main discussion group each day, then a mini discussion with another group. Each group has one main discussion and a mini discussion with me each week. With the integrated literacy groups, I find what we did not cover in reading discussions we can also catch up during writing discussions as the materials are linked between reading and writing.

For students with extra learning support needs, this integration is working very well for them. They are not having to think of which group they are in and what time they see the teacher as the rotations between groups are very well executed.

Where to from here? I am focussing on the quality of discussions. These are some of the questions I am constantly thinking of after group discussions.

How much of the discussion was led by the teacher?
How engaged were the students?
Did we achieve the goal of the discussion?
How much of the learning materials did the students understand?
How were the less motivated students encouraged to participate?

There are so many other aspects to my inquiry which I am working on. I am happy with what I am observing and working on so far and persevering to make more changes to my practice.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Analysis of my teaching as inquiry this year

  How do mathematical practices in DMIC support learner identities in Maths? The shift in student independence in solving mathematical prob...