Friday 18 November 2022

Qual analysis of my point 1 data collection

At the beginning of my intervention, I collected qualitative data from my sample group. There were no numerical information from the data set because it was a survey where the teachers answered the questions. In a recent PLG, Naomi Rosedale discussed analysing qualitative data in a quantitative way. This is called qual analysis. I asked Naomi if I could meet with her so she could go over this analysis technique with me. 

The meeting with Naomi was a very educational meeting for me because in the short time we met, I learnt so much from Naomi about how to analyse qualitative data. The analysis I have done of my data set is a very basic qual analysis. Naomi has shown me some other forms of qual analysis to analyse qualitative data but for a start, this is what I have done. 

This method of data analysis paints a much clearer picture of qualitative data. When I looked at my original data analysis in qualitative form, there were so many different information presented. However, when I completed the qual analysis of the same data set, I could clearly see some common trends in the data set. I suppose it supports a saying I have about quantitative data - the numbers tell a story. 

The overall theme I picked out from my data analysis were:

  • There was and is still a great need for pedagogical knowledge needed for our teachers to plan and implement an effective reading programme
  • The teachers all had different ideas about how to teach reading
  • There was no common understanding of how to plan and teach reading
  • There is a lack of connection with whanau with the reading programmes happening in classes 
  • Key elements highlighted in the Fala Planning Model were not used in our current reading programmes 
I have just collected the last data set from my sample group from their reflections of our journey this year. I will do a qual analysis of this data set and post it in an upcoming blog post. 











No comments:

Post a Comment

Analysis of my teaching as inquiry this year

  How do mathematical practices in DMIC support learner identities in Maths? The shift in student independence in solving mathematical prob...