Thursday 22 July 2021

Casual chain for my inquiry

This is the casual chain I have created for my inquiry so far. I have identified the area I will focus on for my inquiry and also the actions I will implement for this inquiry.

 
The big focus of my inquiry is to build the self efficacy of my students so they are able to make judgements about their ability to achieve a task or tasks. 

I have chosen to focus on the Manaiakalani Community of Learning, Achievement Challenge 4. To increase the achievement of Years 7-10 in reading, writing and maths. Through this inquiry, the goal is for these target learners to increase their achievement in reading, writing and maths. 

With the Project Based Learning approach we have implemented in my class this year, I have noticed a lot of my target learners, struggle with the self efficacy to pursue a task. Giving up or saying "I can't do it" was becoming a common trend. After observations of my students, gathering student voice, marking the first two projects and giving feedback, I realised my target learners had very low self efficacy. They were threatened by the complexity of the tasks and did not attempt the tasks at all. 

There are other aspects I thought about when I was thinking about my 2021 inquiry. Were the instructions explicit enough? Did I provide enough scaffolding materials to help my learners carry on with the tasks when they were not in class with me? The answer to some of these questions were NO! While I thought all the students were able to understand the task requirements, my target learners needed more unpacking and more explicit instructions in chunks to be able to manage the tasks and see themselves successfully completing the tasks. 


In my inquiry this year, I will build a framework within my practice which focusses on building the self efficacy of my learners. 

The outcomes as stated above are what I hope my students will achieve through my inquiry in building their self efficacy. 


The intervention design incorporates actions which will be taken by myself, the target learners, their peers and their whanau. I am focussing on a lot of collaboration from all the contributors towards this inquiry with an immense emphasis on my role as the teacher. 

I also wondered what could be done earlier in a child's education to help build their self efficacy but for now I will implement my inquiry and see how this can be translated to our other classes in our school. There are other aspects which are yet to be added to this casual chain such as my deliberate acts of teaching and how student progress will be documented and regularly recorded. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Analysis of my teaching as inquiry this year

  How do mathematical practices in DMIC support learner identities in Maths? The shift in student independence in solving mathematical prob...