Monday 17 August 2020

Going back to Alert Level 3

The Alert Level 3 announcement although it was an urgent announcement, I am not in a panic because I am prepared with hangouts and work on our class site. I am however, worried that the amount of work my students can complete from home is not the same as what they can do in class. 

Going back to update the Home Learning page on out site, memories of the first lockdown were there from the daily reminders of hangouts, work completion and my screencastify recordings for the students to watch. My Bitmoji has been making a regular appearance on the Home Learning page too. 


Our first hangout felt quite normal. I was proud of my students for being so adaptive to the changes in learning environments. It is as if we just picked up where we left off in class and carried on. I am so grateful for our Manaiakalani cluster because it just makes digital learning, remote learning so easy with the systems in place.

Being Cybersmart is constantly being discussed in our hangouts. I feel my students area aware of why it is important to be Cybersmart and also the consequences and effects of their actions if they are not respecting themselves and others online. 

Here are some tips for hangouts from a veteran hangout teacher :) 
  • Keep communication with your students going - emails, commenting on work, announcements on the Home learning page (screencastify, notices). You have to let your students know you are there supporting and monitoring their learning.
  • Update the Home Learning page regularly - I use images, backgrounds for the dates, Bitmoji (good conversation starter)
  • Talanoa, Talk, Chat, Share - my class and I love talking about subjects of interest to them and myself, current events, families, community, school...(we carry this on in our hangouts). Don't let the hangouts be a 'do this, do that act'.
  • Have at least two hangouts a day - one in the morning to set the students up with work and clarify any work they do not understand, one in the afternoon where the students can report back on their progress
  • Record the hangouts - in hangouts you can record, this is a good record of your discussions and also memories to look back on
  • Very important - MAKE SURE WHAT YOU HAVE ON THE SITE IS VISIBLE. Imagine you are a parent trying to help your child navigate the site and you can not access what is on the site? Don't be that teacher!

4 comments:

  1. Tu Meke e hoa Amy! Your class are so lucky to have someone as adaptive, caring , and digitally competent you as their kaiako. The systems you've set up mean they don't have to miss out on valuable learning experiences and meaningful contact with their teacher and one another during this time.
    Nga mihi
    Stef

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Stef. Much aroha to you and your whanau.

      Delete
  2. Amy, those tips for hangouts (still feels more kiwi than 'Meet') are gold. Thanks for sharing this post. I have appreciated having it from an effective teacher and have been sharing this with others. Totally agree with Stef's comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy, I feel our tamariki have grown so much in being resilient and adaptive this year. For my students moving on to college next year, I know they will go with more confidence and independence in their learning.

      Delete

Analysis of my teaching as inquiry this year

  How do mathematical practices in DMIC support learner identities in Maths? The shift in student independence in solving mathematical prob...