Sunday 26 July 2020

Using the Learn, Create, Share pedagogy in teaching Writing

My inquiry question is: Will an integrated literacy programme with a focus on Learn, Create, Share accelerate the writing achievement of my target learners? (Refer to 27 May blog post)


I have been putting a lot of focus on integrating reading and writing. The students have been using written texts for a lot of their learning materials in the last term. This term, I am working on using more visual and audio texts for their learning activities. 


I have been promoting the use of SISOMO (sight, sound, motion) when the students are creating their sharing tasks. I find using Screencastify is an easy and accessible app for them to use. The only struggle now is the noise level when the students are recording their screencastify recordings in class. We are working our way through systems where the students can break out into more quiet spaces to record their recordings.


With using SISOMO resources, I am promoting what I am encouraging the students to create. This term, we are starting writing with procedural writing. The two slide presentations are examples of the use of SISOMO learning materials for students. They are watching Youtube clips on how to make Hangi and Trifle, then they respond by answering response questions. In responding to the response questions, the students are unpacking what they  understand from the clips. This will help them shape their ideas when writing the procedures. 

The students are also using a planning sheet created for them to use. This will help them structure their writing. 



I am currently working through my deliberate acts of teaching to change aspects of my practice which I believe will change the attitude of my students to writing, bring about more fun in learning to write, emphasise the purpose of writing and the target audience and accelerate writing achievement in my class.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Analysis of my teaching as inquiry this year

  How do mathematical practices in DMIC support learner identities in Maths? The shift in student independence in solving mathematical prob...