Thursday 19 March 2020

Starting off my inquiry by doing proper profiling of the students

Today at our CoL PLG, we were asked to look at how we are profiling our learners in our target group. In my previous blog post I had selected what I was going to focus on for this year. However, I was able to learn today from Aaron the importance of looking at what has been happening to students in writing and then inquiring into how we can accelerate the learning of our students.

In my notes I have attached above are some really important questions. For example, looking at literacy practices in different contexts. My focus this year is on writing therefore, I need to look at where do the students like to write? I what curriculum area do they like to write. I feel this is important because their motivation to write in certain curriculum areas will tell me what motivates them to write.



I really value the statement above from Aaron. The student strengths are more important than their gaps. I reflected on this statement and I have realised in doing inquiries, I have often thought of this student has these gaps, that student has these gaps which is a deficit way of thinking. From this important learning, I will now move forward with a more positive outlook and look at where the strengths of the students and using these to address the gaps they have in their learning.

Last year in my inquiry, I wanted to have more whanau involvement as I was able to get. This year I want to work on getting more whanau to be involved in my inquiring into the accelerating of student progress in writing.

Profiling is important because one, it gives us a clear understanding of where to start with our inquiries. Two, it gives us the valuable baseline data we can use to measure our end of year results against.

Where to from here - PROFILING!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Analysis of my teaching as inquiry this year

  How do mathematical practices in DMIC support learner identities in Maths? The shift in student independence in solving mathematical prob...