Saturday 23 February 2019

Teaching as Inquiry focus 2019

I have been very fortunate to have the opportunity to work with Jannie van Hees not only with my class but also in professional discussions. During our learning conversations I shared my goals for my inquiry which focusses on:

- improving reading comprehension
- encouraging my students to enjoy reading
- my students gaining more understanding of the world around them through non fiction texts and current events
- my students being a ripple effect to encourage reading in their homes

Jannie also shared the value of students understanding vocabulary and in particular cluster of words in texts. I had never thought of this. Upon reflecting on what Jannie shared with me about vocabulary, I now understand the value of students having a good understanding of vocabulary and how they are presented in texts. 

Below is my inquiry focus for this year. There are so many aspects I want to cover this year with my inquiry. I am eager to see the effect this inquiry will have on my students. I also really hope it will accelerate the progress of my students in reading as well as ignite or strengthen their passion for reading.

Will daily deep diving into quality, ‘cutting edge’ texts, accompanied by ’rich’ text conversations in which all participate, and with deliberate attention to words that co-occur to carry meaning, improve students’ reading comprehension and encourage their love of reading.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Mrs Tofa i like your work and making us learn everyday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Iki,

      Thank you for the comment. I am happy that you are like learning every day. I am proud of the improvements you are making in your learning. Keep it up.

      Delete
  2. He Mrs Tofa

    It's good that you also have a unque smile. I really love it either than that keep blogging more Mrs Tofa try reach 100 blogs this year I will be really happy Still love your smile!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mathew, I told Miss Stone now Mrs Stone-Slater about your blogging goal. She said its fantastic. I will try and blog as much as you. Let's keep this blogging frenzy going. Happy blogging!

      Delete
  3. hey Miss Tofa

    thank you for helping me learn the stuff I don't know and I'm gaining more confidence with you also I love your smile keep on smiling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ezekiel,

      Thank you for the lovely comment. I am proud of the progress you are making with your learning and confidence to speak and share your ideas. Keep it up. We are all in this together.

      Delete

Analysis of my teaching as inquiry this year

  How do mathematical practices in DMIC support learner identities in Maths? The shift in student independence in solving mathematical prob...