Thursday 31 August 2023

DMIC observation

Today, I was observed by one of the DMIC facilitators in my class. The focus of the observations is to provide ongoing support to teachers implementing the DMIC programme in their classes. 

When the facilitator asked what aspect of the DMIC kaupapa I wanted her to observe me on, I asked her if she could observe how inclusive I am in my teaching. I wanted feedback on how I am ensuring that my practice is inclusive of all members of the group I was teaching. The students are grouped in a mixed ability group and therefore have different approaches and understandings of the task. I still see evidence of students who prefer to work with a more capable mathematician in the class because they trust, that student will do the work for them. 

During the launch, I used the Talk Moves to unpack the problem with the group. I specifically asked students to repeat their understanding of the discussion at different points of the lesson to ensure they were listening to the discussion and also participating. 

When the students separated in their small groups to work out the problem, I noticed some students trying to be inclusive of their quiet peers while others disregarded their quiet peers and worked out the problem without discussion. This is where what I have been implementing to promote inclusiveness came into action. 

Teacher actions 

  • Ask a different member of the group if they could explain the strategy they were working on. 
  • Ask for the pen to be moved to another student to be the writer and the person sharing their strategy to explain themselves
  • Prompt students who have solved the problem if there are any other strategies they could use
  • Praise students for giving the problem a go even when they thought they could not solve it
I have often reflected and believe that the energy and enthusiasm we as teachers have in our teaching transfers on to the enthusiasm of our learners. I have seen evidence of this in so many lessons where my passion and enthusiasm for a lesson just excites the students too. This is another aspect of being inclusive in my practice. 

The feedback I received from my observation was the need for more generalisation in connecting the maths lesson at the end. The students are more engaged in the lessons through the use of Talk Moves and the teacher actions I am implementing in my practice. 

There are also cultural practices which need to be considered when focussing on an inclusive environment. The concept of talanoa. Encouraging all members of the group to voice their opinions and questions. Culturally inclusive practices is another focus on this teaching inquiry to promote an inclusive environment in my class where students are encouraged to take risks in their learning in all curriculum areas.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Analysis of my teaching as inquiry this year

  How do mathematical practices in DMIC support learner identities in Maths? The shift in student independence in solving mathematical prob...