Thursday 24 August 2023

Casual chain for my inquiry

This is the casual chain for my 2023 inquiry. I have identified what I will do in my practice to make changes and add effect to what the students are learning and how they are learning already in maths. While we continuously have support from the DMIC facilitators, I also know a lot of this inquiry is focussed on my individual actions as a teacher.

There are aspects of this casual chain such as the Community of Mathematicians which has been implemented already and is often referred to by the students and myself. This is displayed on our maths wall and is constantly referred to during our lessons. 

I know the planning of learning is a vital part of teaching and that is one of the focusses of my inquiry. To plan mathematical problems where the big idea is identified and the problem relates to the big idea. DMIC encourages students to solve the problems using strategies they are able to use. Through the connect, the teacher is able to teach or reinforce the strategy at the learning level for the students. In my case, it is level 4 strategies because I teach year 7 and 8 students. 

I have also changed routines in my class to ensure I am able to see both groups each day. The main group for the day is the group I problem solve with, the other group I see to discuss their independent tasks and to give feedback.

This intervention is to magnify the effects of my implementation of DMIC practices and notice if they change the attitude of my target learners towards maths and improve their progress. Through what I have been implementing so far, I have noticed changes in the korero my students have in their problem solving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Analysis of my teaching as inquiry this year

  How do mathematical practices in DMIC support learner identities in Maths? The shift in student independence in solving mathematical prob...